My name is Kayla Frisoli, and I am a Ph.D. student in the Department of Statistics & Data Science at Carnegie Mellon University. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science from the Department of Statistics at UCLA in 2015. My current research interests lie in statistical methodology for social science applications including: record linkage, clustering, topic modeling, and active learning. In my free time, you may find me cooking, watching/playing sports, or listening to live music.
- IFCS Neutral Benchmarking Studies of Clustering Paper Challenge – Honorable Mention
- IEEE DSAA 2019 Student Travel Award Recipient
- Organized 2019 Women in Data Science Conference WiDS Pittsburgh @CMU
- CMU Sports Analytics Conference Reproducible Research Paper Competition – Honorable Mention
- ICDM 2018 Student Travel Award Recipient
- 2018 CMU Intramural Football Champion
- 2018 CMU Intramural Kickball Champion
- Jul 2019 – Joint Statistical Meetings – Denver, CO, USA
- Aug 2019 – Conference of the Int'l Federation of Classification Societies – Thessaloniki, Greece
- Oct 2019 – International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics – Washington DC, USA
- Mar 2020 – ENAR – Nashville, TN, USA
I work with Dr. Rebecca Nugent on problems in record linkage. Record linkage is the process of identifying records corresponding to unique entities across datasets. We are currently working to merge historical Irish census data from 1901 and 1911. We incorporate known sociodemographic changes, household network structure, and information about the hand labeling process into the linkage to overcome merge challenges. We crowd-source individual and household labels and track human-computer interactions through an R Shiny application found here.
My previous record linkage project was at the U.S. Census Bureau, where I was advised by Dr. John Abowd, Dr. Steve Fienberg, Dr. Samuel Ventura, and Dr. Jared Murray. We developed a semi-supervised approach to expand and enhance current record linkage methods.
I have also worked on exploring the effect of tennis court surfaces on player performance (with Dr. Shannon Gallagher and Dr. Amanda Luby) and creating a comprehensive evaluation of minimax linkage for hierarchical clustering (with Dr. Xiao Hui Tai).
2017-2018 PhD TA Excellence Award 2015-2016 PhD TA Excellence Award
- Summer 2018: 36-315, Statistical Graphics and Visualization, Syllabus
- Manage and coordinate the conversion of 36-202 to R Studio:
Spring 2018: 36-202, Statistics & Data Science Methods, Syllabus
- Spring 2019: 36-462/662, Data Mining, Syllabus
- Fall 2018: 36-311, Statistical Analysis of Networks, Syllabus
- Spring 2018: 36-202, Statistics & Data Science Methods, Syllabus
- Fall 2017: 36-461/661, Statistical Methods in Epidemiology, Syllabus
- Spring 2017: 36-200, Reasoning with Data, Syllabus
- Spring 2016: 36-315, Statistical Graphics and Visualization, Syllabus
- Fall 2015: 46-923, Introduction to Statistical Inference, Syllabus
- Fall 2015: 46-921, Introduction to Probability, Syllabus
- Courses: Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, AP Statistics, Introductory Probability
- Corey Emery
"Using Data Visualization to Uncover Demographic Trends in Early 1900s Irish Census Records"
- Cheyenne Ehman, Jake Parker, Adam Tucker, Yuchao Wu
"Classifying Items on Bed Bath and Beyond Receipts"
- Alec Albright, Ani Chowdhury, Kaixin (Katherine) Li, You (Winston) Zheng, Lantian (Sky) Xu
"Analysis of Steady User Lifetimes – Churn Prediction and Customer Segmentation"
Carnegie Mellon UniversityCo-President & Community Outreach Chair CMU Women in Statistics group Ambassador & Organizer Women in Data Science (WiDS) President Student Advisory Committee Mentor Department of Statistics & Data Science Committee Member CMU Graduate Student Assembly Social Committee Student Contact Department of Statistics & Data Science Ph.D. Admissions Committee
University of California Los AngelesPresident
2015 Department of Statistics Graduation Ceremony
UCLA Alumni Mentor Program
Alumni Dinner Organizer (current)
Dinner for 12 Strangers in Pittsburgh, PA, 2016, 2018
Assistant Financial Vice President, Greek Relations Chair
Gamma Phi Beta International